Wednesday, April 12, 2006

April 12 vs Kansas City - W

Unfortunately, I missed most of the game. These 1 PM starts are killing me. I missed the first four innings because I had a pair of classes, then listened to the game on the radio on the ride home from school. I live in New Jersey, but go to college at Providence College. It's Easter break, so I'm home.

Since I didn't observe much, there is little that I can say that cannot be determined from the box score. First off, the big Torre move of the night, starting Miguel Cairo over Robinson Cano. I don't totally disagree with Torre on this move. Cano had trouble last year both against left handers and at the stadium. Cairo had a big night, so it worked out. Cairo might grab 100 of Cano's at bats this year against lefties, which isn't entirely a bad thing. I also wouldn't mind lighting a fire over Cano, forcing him to defend his position by playing more attentively in the field, or working harder to take pitches and draw walks at the plate. So congradulations Torre, you've made a good move.

Should we be a little concerned about Shawn Chacon? Prior to the start of the season, I was one of those stat guys that believed that Chacon could be an above average starter despite the bad peripherals. I still stand by that statement, though Chacon hasn't done anything to help me out. At least he managed a 5/2 K/BB ratio tonight.

Everyone is on fire right now. Damon, Jeter, Giambi, Matsui, Posada, and Arod. Sheffield was cold prior to the game, but going 3 for 5 with a home run and four RBIs can help a cold streak pretty well.

Randy Johnson has a chance to put the Yankees above the .500 line tomorrow night. This season definately doesn't look to be starting like 2005.

Amount remaining on Joe Torre's contract: 12,836,419 dollars