Tuesday, May 16, 2006

May 16th vs Texas W 14-13

I love baseball.

My friends and I were supposed to go out tonight at 9. At 8:45, I called them up and told them to leave without me. I don't know what it was, but I felt the comeback in the air. Did anyone else feel that way? The moment that Derek Jeter stole third, I called the comeback. They just seemed to have some serious fight in them tonight.

Can I really deride Joe Torre after the Yankees played that game? I'm going to give the Yankee front office a type-lashing, but Torre didn't make any serious mistakes. I would have prefered keeping Villone in the lineup a little longer. With a bullpen as tired as the Yankees have right now, it's a waste to keep him in for just one pitch, but I can understand going to Proctor. I kind of fault Cashman and friends more than Torre for Proctor's overuse. But that is for another article.

This is one of those games that will be on the YES network for years. If we finish the season in a tight division race, this is the game that we will remember. You can go a dozen years without seeing a game like this. I can't wait to see FanGraphs.com's WPA graph tomorrow.

And we did it all without Matsui, Giambi, or Sheffield.

One big thing that people will miss in the drama of tonight is the performance of Andy Phillips. He went 2-5 with two doubles. With some big bats hurting, Andy Phillips could supply some much needed offense out there if he finds his stroke. Remember, he is the guy who consistently hit .300/.380/.570 at AAA.

Melky Cabrera, despite fumbling every ball ever hit off the stands in LF, has 4 OF assists. Maybe that will buy him enough trust from Joe Torre to label him superior defensively to Bernie Williams?