Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I'm back!

A few days ago, I arrived home from my long hiatus in the woods. I enjoyed my summer thoroughly, and now it's time to get back to baseball.

Shortly after returning, I was given the opportunity to take my first trip to Fenway Park for a baseball game. The game? A 10 inning classic where Curt Schilling and Mike Mussina faced off for the division. It was worth every second of the 5-hour drive back to New Jersey at 2 AM.

I left on June 20th. On that date, the Yankees were 2.0 games behind. Steve Goldman was about to write how slim the Yankee's chances were. Coolstandings.com gave us a sub-50% chance of making the playoffs. Today? The Yankees are 7 games up in the loss column with a 95% chance of making the playoffs. Damn straight.

It's hard to be the one who criticizes a 1st place manager. Joe Torre's team has fought it's way through hardship and injury. Still, the decisions and choices that Torre makes on a daily basis still have long-term (and short term) consequences.

You are going to see me write quite a bit about non-Torre matters here. The Yankees have an exciting and expansive farm system for which I have a genuine passion about.

I'm ready for a run at #27. How about you guys?